Can you help us to amplify the voices of disability activists?
What have we achieved so far?
Two key achievements of our influencing work, which have been recognised by external partners and become part of ‘ADD International legend’ include our roles in:
- Securing and influencing a UK Parliamentary inquiry on disability.
- Influencing The Department for International Development (DFID) to develop and publish a detailed statement on its commitment to disability inclusion, called ‘Disability Framework: Leaving No One Behind’ in response to the recommendations set out by the parliamentary enquiry.
ADD International has also played a key part in local achievements. There are many examples – some of them include:
- In 2012 there was a change in the law which previously excluded disabled people from civil service jobs.
- 2013; a new Disability Rights Protection Act was passed.
- We worked with the private sector, creating jobs for disabled women in the garments industries.
- Increased funding for rehabilitation and vocational centres for disabled people from the Directorate for Industrial Training.
- Successfully challenged a policy change at the Immigration Ministry which would have excluded disabled people.
- Secured employment for a visually-impaired lawyer at the Ministry of Justice, after he was discriminated against, despite having passed the qualification exams.